Monday, November 10, 2008

texas state of mind

"Texas is an obsession.
Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word,"
-John Steinbeck


Oh i had just the greatest time in San Antonio this weekend. From the minute the airplane touched the ground, the warm sun and clear, blue sky made my soul smile. I began the weekend by sharing a bottle of Red Diamond (our fave) at Sushi Zushi with my aunt and mom and getting my fill of all my sushi favorites - which of course included ikura and soft shell crab. After lunch we visited my sister at Wilderness Oak where she is student teaching. We got to meet her class of second graders and the cool teachers she spends each day with. Later I stopped by the Tomaszewski residence to hug Dru, catch up on life, and share jokes with poppa T. I then headed down the street to Tophill to visit Jonathan where I got to enjoy his hugs and conversation before heading off to meet Kirby Elizabeth for dinner. Kirby, along with her fun co-worker Sydney, and I headed to El Jarro where Ashley joined us for the greatest margaritas and some of the best mexican food in the 210. For the evening, Kirby and I had a sleepover at the Marriot downtown, where we got to bed early, but not before some good gossip and stories first - it's what best friends who don't see nearly enough of each other do.

Satuday, bright early, or more like dark and still like night time, we departed the Marriot to head to Brackenridge Park to begin setting up the Got Milk? booth at American Heart Association walk. Then I had the privelege of accompanying Kirby to the Kens5 studios where she was a rockstar at her interview and promoting milk. We spent the rest of the morning at the Got Milk? tent, snapping photos of people with their sticker milk mustaches (photos to come son), taking advantage of the free subway, and having our own mini photoshoots. 11:30 am came too soon, and it was time for Kirby and Sydney to head to the airport. It's always hard to say goodbye to Kirby, especially when I know it will be quite some time (sooner hopefully than later) until we meet again - I've been spoiled seeing her twice in 2 months! Hey, there were no tears this time... haha.

I headed to Jons where I tried to squeeze in a short nap before heading to my parents house where we were meeting some of my family to head out to Wurstfest! We all (uncle art, aunt brenda, mom, dad, auntie, stacey, jon and i) crammed into the suburban, with our cooler packed, and made our way to new braunfels. There is nothing like Wurstfest - the ten 10 day salute to sausage is quite the event. After tons of food sampling (brats, sauerkraut, bread pudding, jerky, ghoulash...the list goes on) with the group and several pitchers of beer later, us party animals decided it was time for home - yep, we made it to about 8pm. We're wild and crazy. I know.

Sunday, Jon and I went to breakfast with Michael and his girlfriend Kira to Le Peep. I was thrilled to have found BagelwithLox on the specials menu after I had just been dissapointed at its lack of presence on the regular menu. The rest of the afternoon was spent lounging. It was just perfect. I headed home around 4 where I got to see my brother and sister in law, and play with my niece and nephew in the backyard. I love just laying in the grass and listening to those kids run around me shrieking and giggling. We also had a pretty fabulous time jumping on the trampoline. My mom made fajitas and we sat in the backyard for dinner. The weather was beautiful.

After J&G and the kids left, me mom and lindsey relaxed and caught up on our tv shows while I packed and got ready to head back to ny. My mom and I left the house early this morning, and went to meet Jon @ Palapas (had to have my fix) for breakfast before my flight. My other sister-in-law, Mal, called me while we were at breakfast. My nephew, Connor, wanted to talk to me - they were on their way to the doctors to get a cast -- the poor baby broke his arm during his football game on saturday! I didn't get to see him or my other two nephews, and tom and mal during this short weekend, but I can't wait to see them during Thanksgiving break!

Now it's back to school and time to face another long, busy week. It's great to be back in nyc, but Oh how i miss Texas already. The good news is I get to go back in two weeks :) Gotta work hard in my classes though for now... this semester is flying by all to quickly.

Goodnight and God bless

1 comment:

Hipmomofboyz said...

Can't wait for you to come back during the holidays